Wednesday, September 10, 2014

5th Grade Sidewalk Artists

My family and I took a trip to Germany and Italy this summer and I spent the first few days of art class showing my students a slide show of our trip. One of the pictures from Florence, Italy was a street artist recreating a famous Renaissance painting with sidewalk chalk for money. After a long discussion on WHY the artist chooses to do this, one of my students said, "I wish we could do this here at school!"

What a great idea! Students first picked their own famous painting and we practiced recreating their paintings in the classroom before picking a sunny day to work outside our main entrance to school.

The students were impressed with their finished products and other grade levels are now asking to do it also. I think it was a success!  Here are some snapshots from the day.
















No comments:

Post a Comment